For perspective --and trivia. Be it remembered that the Cosby Creek 3 ton(?)
Meteorite found in the early 1800s was "mined" for iron which was used to make
Tennessee and Pennsylvania Long Rifles--and horse shoes.
In fact one of the test used by collectors of these 200 year old flintlocks to
prove authenticy is testing for nickel content!
I don't know how much nor where the remainents of Cosby Creek are, but
interesting to know that a large iron meteorite, found outside the Great Smokie
Mountains National Park,  had a big part in settling the frounteer of Eastern
America as well the defense of the Alamo and future Republic of Texas 180+
years ago.
I am pretty sure there was no discussion at the time about whether it should be
kept as found forva future museum --or divided up, smelted and forged into
rifle barrels.
The remaining unanswered question is what kind of tool did they use to break it
up for transport?  This was pre wire saw and diamond blades. Whichever,  i
understand it took years to complete the process.
Elton

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 11:45 AM, paleskiw--- via
Meteorite-list<meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com> wrote:   I totally agree
with you. Like all the Seymchan Pallasite Meteorite Polished and Etched for
saleI have hohkam tomohawk heads that are made from meteorites that are
hundreds of years old. Ancient cultures have used meteorites yo maje sp many
tools
Sent from my MetroPCS 4G LTE Android device
------ Original message------From: John Lutzon via Meteorite-listDate: Thu, Sep
13, 2018 7:41 PMTo: meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com;Cc: Subject:Re:
[meteorite-list] Skull Carved Out of an Iron