From the NBC News account*, I see a familiar name:

" And though it may be surprising to see an object strike the moon
during a lunar eclipse, it’s not uncommon for the moon to get whacked.

According to Randy Korotev, a lunar geochemist at Washington
University in St. Louis, these impacts happen a lot on the moon.

“I’m not at all surprised that they may have seen an impact,” Korotev
said in an email. “The moon gets hit every day.”"

Too bad the News folks didn't take the opportunity to request, and
publish, any info on comparative energy yields of typical "daily"
impacts, and the likely magnitude of the witnessed event.

* https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/mach/amp/ncna961441