Hello Steve and List,

Phil first asked:

The museum I work at has a meteorite with a specimen number of 92.1157 painted on it, the card with it states it is a stony iron from Kansas.  It looks like an chondrite to me.  No photo available. Any ideas on the ID number?

Steve Schoner kind responded:

The number indicates a Nininger collection piece...Plainview, Texas.

Nininger usually painted a white area on the specimen then wrote in inda ink the number.

#92 is for Plainview, TX and .1157 is the 1,157th example that he sold or found from this site.

That is pretty cool.  The reason I say this is because I recently purchased a plainview meteorite.  On it is a number that neither I or the seller could identify.  92.387

I figured it was a collector number, the 387th stone that some collector purchased in 1992.  A pratice I've heard is common.  This Plainview weighs 830 grams and is also oriented with almost a complete roll over rim on the back side.  Thanks for letting me know it was a Ninninger number.  I had no ideal.

I have photos of this stone in my photo gallery at the following link...

I'm debating going to Munich so I would be willing to entertain offers for the stone (think cheaper then a non-ninninger, non-oriented Plainview).

Mark Bostick

Please visit, www.MeteoriteArticles.com, a free on-line archive of meteor and meteorite articles.