       Please accept a $50 gift certificate from Michael Blood Meteorites
to start it off.
       Thanks, again, Michael

on 8/6/03 5:35 PM, STEPHEN WARZYNIAK at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

----- Original Message -----

From: STEPHEN WARZYNIAK

Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 7:13 PM

To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Subject: New Blood: Not Just the Job of Dealers

Hi list,

I've been a list and an IMCA member for a few months now, quietly sitting here on the sidelines, and thoroughly enjoying ALL of the e-mail traffic that I've read so far.

Although I do agree that it is the duty of the hobby/science to promote the study and enjoyment of meteorites to the general public, this is a job that should not be the sole province of dealers.   Collectors must be willing to promote too.  Since the study and collecting of meteorites is related to astronomy (another "graying" hobby), I have taken the lead within the astronomy club that I belong to promote and educate the public, especially the children, about astronomy and about meteorites.

I am a member and past president of the Calumet Astronomical Society, the largest astronomy club in the northern half of Indiana. www.casonline.org <http://www.casonline.org/> .  Earlier this year, at one of the club's public outings at the Indiana Dunes State Park, I set up a stereo microscope so that the attendees could view a little chunk of NWA 869 under magnification.  I also gave every kid who answered an astronomy/meteorite question correctly a small, individually bagged and identified chip of NWA 869 as a prize.  Since high winds kept outside observing to a minimum, inside activities filled out the evening, and the meteorite table had a cluster of people around it all night long.  Parents as well as kids were captivated by the little stone in the scope, and I was asked a lot of good questions.

I also had a similar educational display setup last weekend at the first annual Indiana Family Star Party, held at Camp Collum, just north of Indianapolis near Frankort, IN.  Al Mitterling was there, and as always had his great display and selection of material and did a good job of promoting and educating what ended up being an eager, albeit small, turnout.  This promises to be a good event in the future, although persistent clouds and rain kept the public away on this the inaugural weekend of the event.

As a meteorite collector, and a member of an astronomical organization that reaches thousands of people every year with our public outings and educational outreach efforts, I certainly believe that I am doing my small part in promoting both meteorites and astronomy.  Now here's the chance for you dealers out there to help me in my efforts.  After making a few purchases on Ebay, while corresponding with the sellers, I asked if any of them had some small (I mean SMALL, like 0.05-0.1g) chips of common meteorites that they were willing to donate so that I could give them away to kids at upcoming presentations and events.  Lourdes and Mark Zalcik of Blue Gramma Gifts (also new IMCA members) were the gracious donors of the meteorite chips that were used in the giveaways mentioned above.   So, if you just finished slicing up that huge unclassified NWA or have a pile of debris on your desk from that crumbling Nantan and basically have a bunch of little chips and chunks lying about, don't sweep them into the trash, send them to me!!

Since the Calumet Astronomical Society is a 501c3 tax-exempt organization, your donations ARE tax deductible, and I can provide you with an electronic receipt for your donations if you so desire.  Just let me know.  Please mail your waste chunks and chips to:

Steve Warzyniak

8517 Muirfield Ln.

St. John, IN 46373

Thanks to all in advance for your help in getting kids (and their families) interested in astronomy and in the study and enjoyment of meteorites!!

Regards,

Steve Warzyniak

IMCA #9804

warz5573