Ball lightning? I've seen it before and it could possibly fool people into thinking it is a meteor. Now about making some type of fulgurite, I couldn't tell you.

Just a thought.

Dave

Adam Hupe wrote:

Hi Tom and List,

The problem with this material is that it does not contain any metal.  If it
was in a reducing environment why isn't there any metal, even at microprobe
levels?  This almost certainly eliminates this material coming from an
industrial process, at least none that I have ever heard of.  If it came
from a foundry why wasn't the sand melted in the center.  The sand is also
trapped in sealed vesicles, that look almost like chondrules, like a
condensation product, which is extremely odd.  It was extremely difficult to
make thin-sections of this stuff because of the friability of the material
trapped inside.

Will update as we get more results,

Adam

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom aka James Knudson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "mafer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Adam Hupe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Cc: "meteor central" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 3:39 PM Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Elma Status?

Hello All, This Elma stuff sounds like a metal casting bi-product from a
foundry. Is there a foundry in our around Elma?
Thanks, Tom
Peregrineflier <><
The proudest member of the IMCA 6168