Greetings.  This is my first post, and I wanted to chime in and say that I am not sure
there is anything more important than what you all are doing right now with children!
For the last 7 years, I have been going to schools that my children attend (and
others) to teach different classes about meteorites and fossils.   For the last 5
years, I have left substantial portions of my meteorite and fossil collections at many
schools for the teachers to use.  I also volunteer at other schools and camps in the
area doing meteorite and fossil shows.

My last show for 15 ten year olds at a conservation camp two weeks ago was
outstanding.  I brought in many pieces of my collection, including a 26 kilo Sikhote
Alin, a 35 kilo NWA,  a 1.92 gram piece NWA 1195 Martian, Allende, Park Forest (I live
in Illinois) and many others.   You should have seen their faces when I let them each
hold a real piece of Mars!  I think the counselors were even more amazed.  They were
adults acting like kids! I talked about the process of Lunar and Martian meteorites
making it to earth, the Amino acids in Murchison, Star Dust in Allende, a large
meteorite possibly ending the reign of the dinosaur, etc!   All of the kids are
sitting in amazement (as were the adults!). I also showed the kids what a meteorite
stick was and bit about how to hunt for meteorites.  The next day, the camp went
hiking and all day the kids were looking for meteorites with magnets and a few
meteorite sticks that I let them borrow.   5 parents separately commented that it was
all their kid talked about all night, that they were going out to buy magnets, and two
told me I had created a meteorite monster!  At the end of the show, I gave each child
and each counselor a small (10-15 gram) Sikhote Alin with a label from
MeteoriteLabels.com.   The investment to me was more than worth it!  They were all
thrilled and amazed.  They each went home with an amazing rock from space; something
they will remember (hopefully!) for a very long time.

I think some of the adults at my shows view my interest in meteorites as a bit
eccentric.  I get very animated and passionate when I talk.  But I have never seen a
kid react with anything but sheer joy, genuine amazement, and complete intrigue at the
possibilities surrounding meteorites.   I have seen "the spark" many times in
children, and if I have been able to further their imagination through my shows, that
is a great gift to me.  P.S., If some of you have some spare time (which I do as I
have been fortunate to retire very early), it is not only children that love this.
Take and hour of your day and do a show at a retirement home with the elderly.  Watch
them turn into little kids :-)  All the best to the list.  I find your collective
information of great help to me, as it educates me and helps me get the proper
information to the people who are just learning of this great hobby!

Terry Boudreaux
StarMeteorites (no web site yet, but coming soon :-))

1ë^¢¸­zX¬¶f¢–)à–+-1ë^¢¸­zX¬¶g­zŠâµçžÚÚ•Ê&†Ûiÿü0–¢®X¬¶w­þf¢–f§þX¬¶)ߣùžµê+Š×¥ŠË