Chris and Mike F,

I'm certainly no expert at this but as I understand it...the purchaser(first,
second, third, etc.?? who knows) of a NWA meteorite may decide to ask for a
number from the NonCom(group that gives out numbers/names) to give it an
identity at a minimum. If they get a number...then he/she can use that to
help get it classified if they can find someone to do it. They may also feel
that this is way it can be tracked/labeled...giving it an identity, and
possibly gives it more worth for resale. Personally I think it is a waste of
time to get a number unless followed through with classification. But I maybe
wrong with that statement??? The Sahara's are done the same way...given
numbers but only a portion are classified. It is easier said than done to get
a classification from what is obvious in the threads seen on the list in the
past.

As far as an individual from NWA having a number...and then calling it the
main mass. To me that is not reality. No offense Mark or anyone else who does
this...but why in the world would you believe it is the biggest piece from a
particular fall in the African desert? I guess giving it a name allows one to
say that it is the biggest one with that number...main mass?...hardly I
suspect. Same goes for the Sahara's. Personally I don't think the term "main
mass" should be used with individually numbered pieces/groups from the
deserts. What is the right use for main mass???

May I ask a question...Is it better to give them all numbers to gain an
identity? Maybe so...Mark might be doing the right thing, even if he had no
intention of getting it classified. I suspect the total number of orphan
NWA,s (without numbers) probably far exceeds the ones with numbers.

Back to Mike Fowlers earlier question. I think it was along the lines
of "Does every individual piece have to be sliced and classified to be sure
it came from the same meteorite find/fall?" This is a gray area from my
perception...obviously it is not done when respectable dealers/collectors
have their act together with verifying that the same material has been kept
together. We have heard of Dean's problems like the BL group of beautiful
stones that were challenged "How do you know they are the same fall without
classifying them all". So, Mike trust me when I say that there are those out
there who go by the rigid code "It is not a meteorite unless it has a name
from NomCom and it has been classified". Even when you and I know it is a
meteorite when we look at it.

I guess I'm done. For all you new guys there is a rich history of threads in
the archives that covers these subjects in great detail...with no clean
ending.

John