Hello List,

Just started to catch up on some of the recent posts
to the List, and came across the thread about
Tsavorites.  I saw this auction on eBay, and I said to
myself, "Good grief, 'Tsavorite Tektites'?  This is
really going to start a firestorm on the List!"

But instead, I see 'Tsavorite Tektites' being
discussed as if it were an accepted name.  I must say
that I am very disappointed.  I can't imagine that any
mineralogist, or any dealer/collector of Tsavorite
garnets, or any dealer/collector of tektites would sit
still for such a misuse of this very specific term.

I suppose you could make a case for the phrase
"Tsavorite-green" or "Tsavorite green-colored" but
using a mineral name as a place name is not only
risking confusion, but risking being accused of a
scam.

For those that have an interest in this material, and
certainly before making a purchase, I would suggest
contacting the GIA in San Diego to see if they have an
analysis of this material. (They are very familiar
with another "green glass" used in jewelry that is
made from a melting process that uses Mt. St. Helens
volcanic ash!!;-)

I've reread the auction and tend to agree with Thomas
Webb; at least I hope this is what the auction Seller
intended to convey in his Description.

Bob V.