Hello Randy and List

From what I hear on the new Franconia Meteorite, it's different from the one found last year according to ASU, I think this one is also an H4, several more kilos have been found so far, many stones.
There are a few list members working on this find right now (not et meteorites group), they were trying to keep it a secret, but the words out. I may hear %#&!$@ words back.
From what I hear, the strewn field is large, I don't think it's as big a GB, there mapping it right now, the stones are brown in color, but a nice visible 80% to 90% fusion crusted, most found on the surface.
The ground is very hot in spots, as metal detectors go, lots of hot lava rocks all over the place. Meteorite canes work well.
I'm sure the list members who are hunting it right now, will be posting there claim soon to the list, with all the info and get the credit they deserve for this great new find.

As to the price, supply and demand will win out, when the supply of Gold Basin is gone, the price will rise again, but with so many dealers and hunter with many kilos, it may be a long time.
This new stone is much nicer than the old Gold Basins, I'm sure the price will start out high, over $10 gram, from there who knows? It's one I must have!

I'm glad many of you enjoy my photos of the Tucson show. Thanks for your comments, I had a great time taking them.

Thanks again for your time.

Keith Vazquez
Chandler, AZ

----- Original Message -----
From: Randy Mils
Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 8:20 PM
Subject: [meteorite-list] Franconia Meteorite

Hi List:

I saw a big meteorite in ET's room at the Inn Suites with a sign listing it as the Main Mass of the Franconia meteorite.  I think it was found on Super Bowl Sunday.  The ink on the sign had scarcely dried when I heard that a 7kg piece was found a few days later.

I remember when Gold Basin first came out and the price was well north of $1.50 per gram.  Before long, meteorite hunters decended on the Gold Basin strewnfield.  Last time I checked on ebay, Gold Basin could be had for a quarter a gram on some auctions.  I heard rumors in Tucson of several groups planning on searching for Franconia meteorites after the show was over.  Could Franconia be the next Gold Basin?   I can almost hear our Italian friend saying "Bah!, the prices are in ruin"

Randy