From: Jeannie Devon [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 31 March 2004 08:38
To: Mike / flattoprocks; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Collectors and dealers.

Hi Mike,

I sell meteorites in my store and my husband always kids me that it's only to support
my own habit!  I would not really call myself a meteorite "dealer" in the true sense
of the word, but rather a meteorite retailer! Whenever I buy several of the same fall,
I can never really bear to part with all of them and one or two end up "disappearing"
into my personal collection.  Some of my favorites are a gorgeous half stone of Camel
Donga, a Sikhote Alin shaped just like a bullet, a small but fantastic piece of
Willamette, and a 125 pound Gibeon with a huge cavity in it the size of a grapefruit
that they will have to pry from my cold dead hands!  : )   That one is currently at a
local childrens' science museum on loan because I felt too guilty about keeping it all
to myself!

And of course I have several meteorites that were given to me as gifts from very
special people which I would not part with for anything!

I have found that the best part about being a buyer/seller/collector is that you may
think you have the perfect sample of some particular meteorite so you keep it in your
collection.  Then, you come across one that is even better, so you sell the other one
and upgrade your sample.  After a while the size of your collection doesn't increase
as quickly, but its quality and your appreciation for it increases.  As a matter of
fact, I recently purchased a nice end cut of Toluca from you which will upgrade my
current piece.  So I will sell my old one, and so on and so on.

I think that some dealers end up having to think too much about their bottom line, and
what other dealers are doing, and they don't have the luxury of just plain loving a
meteorite for what it is.  I am glad that meteorites are not my bread and butter.  I
don't feel compelled to attach a dollar figure to them, and I think that collecting
helps keep me in touch with what I love about them.  I hope you enjoy being a
dealer, and don't stop collecting what you love!

Regards,
Jeannie
www.thenaturesource.com
Anchorage, Alaska