Dear Adam and List Members,

I can quite believe that the main mass of this meteorite is weighing over 2.5 kg (If
it’s the
case, I ask to everybody to excuse me for the title of my first message) but I have
never
heard about this piece and nobody has shown a picture of it.

I know, of course, that this meteorite (Oum Dreyga/Amgala) is already being studied at
NAU,
but as it often arrives, this meteorite will be analysed by several laboratories. I
think that
this is a good thing and that the comparison of different studies is always rich in
learnings.

It’s sure that it is an H chondrite, the exact type will be determinated by the
analyses.

I can’t believe that a professionnal can confuse a L chondrite with a H chondrite and
weathering grade 2 with a weathering grade 0.

There is a lot of swindles in this stuff, and perhaps the ill-intentioned people would
like to
sell Zag pieces for pieces of the new fall. But again, it’s seems to me really
improbable to
confuse them. Zag meteorite looks really special and is recognizable at the first
glance. Even
the pieces recovered three or four years ago don’t have the sight of a meteorite which
is on
Earth since few months.

The one who has had the fortune to handle some meteorites which fell on Earth few
times
ago, known the « mint » appearance of them. This appearance can’t be confused with the
ones which had been exposed to weathering for some times. I have had the occasion to
handle a nice piece of Ben Sour recovered 15 months after the fall. This piece was
already
affected by the desert varnish.

Best Regards,
Philippe