Good Points Stan.

This is not a new characteristic of meteorites coming on to the market at different prices.  Years ago Bob Haag bought the main mass of Esquel.  A little later another 80kg or so fell into the hands of some other dealers.  They banged it onto the market undercutting Bob.  Bob kept his cool and sat back and let them sell out.  After the market absorbed the other dealers supply, Bob started selling again.

The dealers with deep pockets can afford to sit on their rare meteorites in the hopes of the supply coming out of the deserts drying up, which they eventually will.  The partime dealers with a full time 9 to 5 job can afford to sell now with a small markup.  Both strategies will make money.

If finders and dealers at a new fall want to sell before classification and their are willing buyers what is the harm?  The collector has the option of waiting for classification and the possibility that something strange will be discovered and the price will be higher or they can buy immediately with the possiblity of many kg coming on to the market which will outstrip demand.  It is a crap shoot.

This is still a free market society and collector and dealer alike can sell their meteorites any way they please.  Even if that does not fit nicely into the perfect business model.  Collectors can become instant dealers if a meteorite falls in their backyard (Park Forest) or if they decide to buy directly from Morocco because the internet makes it possible.  For many this is not a business, just a hobby, which, because of the internet and ebay makes it possible to help pay for one's collection by selling extra specimens or taking a flyer on buying from Morocco.

Is all this a bad thing?  I don't think so.  I think that this is just the way it is, always has been (Esquel), and always will be (Park Forest, Amgala, NWA, etc)

Randy