To: <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 3:27 AM
Subject: [meteorite-list] KSU H4 Meteorite, Secretary Paper Weight

Hello everyone,

Looks like I get to annouce another previously undescribed US meteorite. Following the tradition of the Layfette University and the Kansas University meteorite. Where an unknown meteorite found in the college was named after it, we have given this meteorite the provision name of Kansas State University.

This meteorite was found in the collection of NASA scientist Elbert King at the time of his death. Labeled as "UNDOCUMENTED" and side noted, " #2" in King's personal catalog, the meteorite was unclassified. The single stone, 301 grams, was first recognized as a meteorite by KSU geologist Doug Brookins on the desk of a university secretary where it was being used a paper weight. Elbert King acquired the meteorite from Brookins.

In October 2004, 26 grams of the meteorite was sent to UCLA were it was classified by A. Rubin. The meteorite is a stone chondrite H4, W3, S1. Fa 18.8 +/- 0.2. This meteorite, currently part of the Kansas Meteorite Society collection, is co-owned by two of its members.

Photographs of this meteorite can be found on the following website. Currently, we are not willing to cut anything from the meteorite for resale, sorry.

http://www.meteoritearticles.com/colksu.html

I will be flying to Tucson in the morning, Simone will be here, but I will be unable or slowed in answering e-mails.

Clear Skies,
Wichita, Kansas
Mark Bostick
www.kansasmeteoritesociety.com