To: <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 9:48 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Adam's NWA 2989 Acapulcoite

Hello list,

To get back to the spirit of Bernd's e-mail.

This NWA acapulcoite, a.k.a., NWA 2656, NWA 2714 and NWA 2989 (others?) is one of the better deals on the market right now. (And Blaine Reed I think has the best price). The meteorite is somewhat weathered and slices very in weathering, the darker....due to the high amount of metal, the more weathered portions. My slice, sold to me as NWA 2656, looks like Adam's NWA 2656...which is on the lower end of this meteorite's weathering...from the slices I have seen at least.

In case you thinking, I know acapucolites are achondrites....but just what are these tourist city sounding meteorites really?

Acapucolites are igneous rocks composed primarily of olivine, bronzite, and plagioclase and with nickel-iron as principal minerals. They also have accessory minerals of clinopyroxene, troilite, and schreibersite (among others).

I bought a thin section of the acapulcoite NWA 1054 (paired?) in Tucson and was surprized at how small the mineral crystals are in acapulcoites when I got it under the scope at home. The matrix appears much finer then other achondrite's in my collection and predictably, the olivine and plagioclase light up nicely in crossed polars. I haven't figured out how to take thin section photos with my new camera but I will work on it and share some with the list if interested.

Anyway, this meteorite classification type has been selling in the $200-$300 range until recently. If you don't have a piece....keep your eye open. Or give Adam or John and e-mail...or possibly Blaine a call.

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
www.meteoritearticles.com

Matt Morgan