http://www.aero.org/conferences/planetarydefense/index.html

2007 Planetary Defense Conference

March 5-8, 2007
George Washington University
Washington, D.C.

The objective of the conference is to develop a white paper that
assesses the current state of our ability to discover and track near
earth objects (NEOs - objects that could possibly impact Earth) and our
ability to successfully deflect a threatening object should one be
detected. Included will be recommendations on:

    * What must be done to enhance our ability to discover threatening
      objects?
    * What sizes of objects pose the greatest threat and what are the
      options available for deflecting an object?
    * How can a deflection mission be designed to ensure the highest
      probability of success?
    * What political, policy, and legal actions would be required?
    * How public confidence in our ability to mount a successful
      mitigation mission can be enhanced?
    * How should we prepare for and respond to an impact-related disaster?

The conference will follow a systems approach to planetary defense,
similar to that followed for the 2004 Planetary Defense Conference (see
www.planetarydefense.info). Topics to be discussed include:

    * Current activities and status of efforts to discover and track
      NEOs, asteroids and comets that cross the Earth's orbit and could
      one day be a threat.
    * Updates from Deep Impact and other recent missions.
    * How a NEO impact might affect Earth and our environment and how
      the risk varies as a function of object size.
    * The engineering aspects of the problem - what are our options for
      deflecting an oncoming body?
    * What would a deflection mission look like? What can we do if an
      object on a collision course is discovered today?
    * What are critical nonengineering aspects of the problem? How would
      we prepare the public for an impact or a mitigation mission? What
      are the political, policy, and legal issues that would affect the
      approval and execution of a mission? How should we prepare for and
      respond to a disaster of this type?
    * How should international activities and capabilities be
      coordinated and incorporated into an overall deflection effort?

Sponsors include The American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics,
The Aerospace Corporation, Space Science Institute.