In late August of '99 I was camping in the Nevada desert. One evening, as twilight turned into darkness, a fireball burned across the sky from horizon to horizon (that's a pretty big distance in the Nv desert!). I caught sight of it at about 1/3 of the way across. It was traveling directly east at a leisurely pace (compared to meteors), leaving a wide, glittering trail of many colors which hung in the air for a moment or three after. The most amazing celestial spectacle I've ever seen, suprising and awesome. I remember finding out that it was a satellite reentry, but don't recall the details.

Jeff