I will let the experts here debate this but, from the very beginning, I thought this story sounded familiar. In December 1997, the Internet was rife with rumours of a huge meteorite crashing in Greenland. As the days and the weeks went on, the size of the meteorite was considerably downsized and then it was confirmed there was a bright flash but no impact. See the url below.

I'm just wondering if we are not dealing with something like this this time around as well.

Just my very humble .02 CAN

Andre

http://goes.gsfc.nasa.gov/text/9712.greenland/9712.greenland.html