but wouldn't that be an emerald?
Dear Mark,
My familuarity with chromium diopsite is that they are one of the mineral indicatiors for diamond/kimberlite occuances. They are one of the mantle derived minerals that form at very high pressure and heat some 50+ miles deep in the Earth's crust. Pyrope garnets, chrome diopsite, ilmanite are all in the same group of indicatior minerals. I have some specimens around here somewhere but they tend to be 1/8th. inch or so in size and tend to be long slivers, or lath like in appearance. Larger crystals of chrome diopsite are rare, and quite valuable.
Best,
Dave Freeman
Oh, an emerald is green Beryl.....

MARK BOSTICK wrote:

Hello Mike and list,

Mike noted, "By the way, the crystals are confirmed to be Chromium
Diposide, found in only 4 meteorites in the world!"

That is a cool looking meteorite. I was wondering on the chromium aspect. I know some of you are better geology people then me, but wouldn't that be an emerald?

Clear Skies,
Mark Bostick
Wichita, Kansas
Kansas Meteorite Society, Board Member