Better Yet!
"In the present invention, layered cloth elements are disposed and located
intermediate of the outer bumper wall and the rearward wall. The layered cloth
elements include a ceramic cloth disposed in a facing relationship to the
bumper wall. "Ceramic cloth" is herein defined as a pliable material made by
weaving, felting, embedding or knitting ceramic fibers, threads and/or
filaments in to a fabric. "Ceramic" is defined herein as a material composed of
metal oxides such as aluminum oxide, silicon dioxide, boron oxide and other
metal oxides. The ceramic cloth provides an impact shock layer which has
significant strength and flexibility at high temperatures for extended time
periods. The purpose of the ceramic cloth is to shock and break up an incoming
particle and disperse it in a spray form.

In juxtaposition with the ceramic cloth is a high strength cloth disposed in
facing relationship to the rearward wall. A "high strength cloth" is defined
herein as a pliable material made by weaving, felting, embedding or knitting
high strength/low weight fibers, threads and/or filament. "High strength/low
weight" is defined herein as a fiber, thread and/or filament having a specific
strength greater than 9×106 inches (where specific strength=fiber ultimate
tensile strength/fiber density) for units of pounds force per square inch
divided by pounds (mass) per cubic inch. The high strength cloth provides a
capability to disperse for ultimate tensile strength and retard the fragment
spray cloud or fragments resulting from penetration of the ceramic cloth before
impact with the rearward wall. "

Jerry Flaherty