Hi List:

  I love meteorwrong stories.

  As the director of the planetarium in Little Rock, Arkansas - I've seen my
share of "wrongs."  I've had approximately 10 submissions - and one I was sure
was a pretty little iron.  I offered to send it for testing, but the young man
didn't want to - he said he was going to keep it either way because he liked
it, and if it wasn't he didn't want to know.

  I had an older couple that called and said they had a meteorite that weighed
about 20 pounds.  In about 30 minutes - they arrived with a nice sized flat
rock, that had been spray painted silver (complete with paint drips down the
sides).  Trying to be tactful - I told them it didn't have any of the "usual"
characteristics, however, if they wanted, I would be glad to consult a local
meteorite expert (Robert Woolard), as well as a geologist at the University.
They insisted that they didn't have time for all that "fal-de-rall" - but, they
would let me have it for $500, but only if I gave them cash.  I declined.

  But, my favorite story comes out of Louisiana.  Two men contacted a local
planetarium and said they found a meteorite.  The director asked them a few
questions, and from their description it really didn't sound like a meteorite.
Still the men insisted they were positive.  Finally, the planetarium director
had to ask - "What makes you so sure it is a meteorite?"

  "Because when we stick our tongues to it - and it tingles."  The planetarium
director choked back the giggles and invited them to bring it in - he had to
see what it was.

  They arrived some time later - with what appeared to be hardened poop.  The
director's best guess was deer or dog.  The men looked a bit "green around the
gills" when they left.  The director kept the poop on his desk for years as his
favorite example of a meteorwrong.

  Pamela Shireman, Director
  EpiSphere Digital Planetarium
  3301 East Roosevelt Road