May I draw peoples attention to a couple of points.

1: Global warming is definitely taking place. There
can be no doubt over this

2: There is absolutely no smoking gun suggesting it is
our fault

I'm happy to accept that we would be irresponsible to
ignore the phenomena and we should take steps to
minimise our environmental impact. It's just that the
real cause of global warming is likely many, at least
several independent factors. Our carbon footprint may
not be the main one.

To emphasise this, indulge me and imagine the
situation around the 17th century as we entered the
Maunder Minimum period. What would the scientists and
politicians be suggesting as world temperatures
plummeted by several degrees in a couple of decades?
BURN EVERYTHING, INCREASE CO2 OUTPUT.

This was a natural process that centuries later we
cannot understand or fully explain.
There are higher processes at work.

(And don't get me onto reduced particulate pollution,
raised oceanic volume, population levels, and
atmospheric consequences of cheaper air travel.
Prior to 1970s there was no discernable trend at all,
despite over a hundred years of industry and a couple
of major wars. All this current scaremongering does is
give politicians an excuse to further raise my taxes
"for my own good".)

The current attitude is not science and the people
whose jobs it is to do it should know better.

Rob McC