With the assumed-evidence of frost forming on some
freshly observed falls, and the seemingly logical
assumption behind the physics of heat-transfer-rates
vs the relatively short time a falling meteor travels
at hyper velocity, I tend to believe that meteorites
are probably cold to the touch when they impact.

Hi
I have just got an idea,
I will try to contact to the peoples who found Baszkowka. Specimen was located (as I remember) within minutes in small crater. Im sure they touch it, so maybe they remember if it was hot or cold. Maybe it will be still possible to find this persons. :) Also one or Moravka specimensl, fall close to camping, but I not remember if it was found fast after fall or not

However, I would bet that greater than 99% of the
people on Earth would just ASSUME that they "must" be
hot. (Especially when almost every Hollywood movie
shows meteorites "burning" all the way to the ground
and then exploding in a big ball of fire.)

yep, thats why this is useful "tricky" question to all the peoples who found "new meteorite" that fall 2metres from them. If specimen was hot and burn grass around, then there is no doubt what kind of "meteorite" was found.

http://www.Meteoryt.net             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.PolandMET.com       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.Gao-Guenie.com      GSM +48(607)535 195