A gag I read 30 years ago in a kids' science book - I've tried it - it's now non-PC, but it works. Take a small piece of ice from the freezer. Find a stooge. Light a cigarette. Tell stooge he/she is perfectly safe. Turn stooge away from you. Very briefly apply ice to back of stooge's neck. Wave cigarette in apology, and prepare lawsuit - he/she will immediately accuse you of trying to set them on fire.

It may advance the argument a little - plus, it's free fun :)

Mark

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

By the way, they had never heard of the (very good) suggestion that a
person touching a very cold meteorite may actually think that the burning
sensation is heat and not cold.

Larry