Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2008 11:24 AM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] cleaning Millbillillie ?

I agree that there is a special characteristic that would be lost if the
red staining were to be removed from a Millbillillie individual. However, it is also great to have meteorites pristine with no terrestrial alteration.
The priciest Millbillillies are those that with dark black glassy crusts.

No, a meteorite like Millbillillie should be looked at in a much more subtle way!

It fell in 1960, and was collected no earlier than 10 years later! Talking about Millbillillie is exciting in many respects, as it e. g. displays different textures on cut slices, but talking about exterior surface, I would always prefer a piece with natural (laterite) patina over a piece which was somehow "cleaned" (..if this were possible..) or has only got some more or less glossy black crust alone rather than the brownish-reddish surface stains that are so very *typical* for this meteorite,
and are part of its "character", so to say...!

You are right insofar as, when we are talking about may be fresh Eucrites or fresh Howardites, we are looking and longing for fresh glossy black crust in the first place, as will be the case with e. g. the early collected pieces of a historical fall like Stannern, or some rare other finds and falls, but things are a quite a bit different with a fall like Millbillillie, even if it occured as late as 1960, considered a "fresh" fall....

Well, nothing but my two (Euro-)Cents,
Alex
Berlin/Germany