I think it's worth pointing out that this object would not pose a collision
risk to anything in space. It would orbit in the vicinity of the ISS while it's
altitude slowly decayed. Remember of course that the ISS needs its orbit
boosing periodically to prevent it from suffering the same fate.
There was no environmental impact from Skylab, Mir or, tragically, Columbia so
I don't think a small module is likely to cause too many problems. NASA are an
easy target but I think they do a great job considering the political
constraints they have to work under.
(I suppose I would say that. As a UK citizen, I'm not footing the bill)

Rob McCafferty