Hi, Listees:
Marco wrote: That actually does look like the real deal (*if* the photographs belong to the report and are not generic footage): a sunlit wind-blown dust trail left by a
bolide.

Living in Flagstaff, Arizona, around 1962-1963, I saw a huge smoke ring (2-3 miles in diameter??), moving from west to east, north of the city at a very high altitude, but no tail was evident. Never saw an official explanation of the ring, but wonder now if this may have been an explosion similar to the one in Marco's link. Does anyone have any info on that event? The date of the smoke ring was well after Holbrook, Gold Basin, and Franconia it appears, so has a fall been recorded in northwest Arizona area around 1962/1963 that could have generated that ring?

Just curious. The size of the ring and the way it retained its configuration as it drifted east made me think it was extremely high and extremely unusual. A local man claimed he was hunting west of Flagstaff and saw a group of angels accelerate upward at an impossible rate causing an updraft that carried moisture into the stratosphere and condensed into the ring. You gotta believe an eyewitness, right?
Keep looking up,
Paul