Hi, James,

It tells me that they knew LaPaz because "[In 1942,]
LaPaz took leave from Ohio State to the New Mexico
Proving Ground during World War II where he was a
Research Mathematician, and later as Technical Director,
Operations Analysis Section, Second Air Force. This is
where he became interested in ballistics as well as
meteorites. His work with the Second Air Force included
investigation of Japanese Fugo balloon bombs that had
reached the United States."

He was a past technical advisor with a history of military
and government employment, a known quantity (who
already had security clearances), and who knew all the
other scientists and technologists who would be involved
in studying the "green fireballs." He was a logical choice,
from the standpoint of the government.

Nininger was an unknown quantity to them, not associated
with any institution, and a less well-known figure by far,
even if he was a much better scientist and researcher.

Sterling K. Webb
----- Original Message ----- From: "James Balister" <balisterja...@att.net>