Okay, I work at the UM Obs in College Park... just got a call from someone from one of the local tv stations asking about a possible meteor sighting this morning...

I'm getting the details 4th or 5th hand at this point... Roughly around 5am... On the Dulles toll road, probably facing roughly east, moving N-S just above/in the trees... Ch 4 is also going to try track down some police officers who also supposedly saw it to try to get some info...

However, there were a number of IR Flares this morning between 4 and 5am that were fairly low in the sky and possibly in the same direction. And looking through a car windshield might make them look green!
http://www.heavens-above.com/iridium.asp?Dur=2&Date=40306.6324262616&lat=38.981&lng=-76.937&loc=College+Park&alt=0&tz=EST

I have not seen anything mentioned on the local club listserves nor have I had any other calls...

If I hear anything more, I'll let you know... If you hear anything, please let me know... But right now, I'm leaning towards the IR Flare explanation...

Clear Skies!
Elizabeth Warner
warne...@astro.umd.edu
301-405-6555