Last week I got a
Veho VMS-004 Deluxe 400x USB Powered Microscope 1.3MP
Which I bought of ebay for $43
Here is some photos I took.
http://www.meteoriteshop.com/photos/microphotos.html
You will notice on the meteorite photo that the image is blurry around the
edges.
The segments in my ruler is 1/2mm so as you can imagine the stuff is pretty
small. I never knew there was anything between the fossil stingray teeth for
example.
I am getting (Just barely) passable gemstone photos for ebay auctions but the
field of view is so small that it will only work up to about a 4 or 5 carat
stone. There is some fiddling that I am doing though and will probably figure
things out as I use it more.
It does have an adjustable light strength which is good (I can even turn the
light completely off). This is a nifty feature that many (Especially the ones
sold at coin fairs) dont seem to have.
I probably should have got a more expensive one but even at $43 it is better
than several others that I have used that cost over $100 so this thing is good
value compared to some others anyway.
There dont seem to be a on/off switch and you have to pull it out of the ubs
port to turn it off.
Cheers
DEAN