Just thought you all would enjoy this image. You've gotta see this! Great night photo of the meteor showers, by David A. Harvey, a professional photographer based in Tucson Arizona. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_kYou0sYtaeI/TGUgBSFiZ3I/AAAAAAAABwE/siGQmmSozig/s1600/_MG_6972sum_web.jpg

Rob H.
Meteorite Newbie (anyone want to sponsor me for IMCA membership?)

From: "Linton Rohr" <linton...@earthlink.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:19 PM
To: "Michael Murray" <mmur...@montrose.net>; "GREG LINDH" <gee...@msn.com>
Cc: <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Perseids.

Greg, Michael, List,
Glad to hear that many of you were able to enjoy the show.
I spent three days up in the White Mountains, east of Bishop, CA, near the Nevada border. The area is home to the Bristlecone Pines - the oldest living things, at up to 4,000 years old. Being in the rain shadow of the Sierra Nevada, we didn't see a single cloud the whole time. The sky was very transparent, and dark enough that we were able to easily see the zodiacal light beginning around 3:00 or 3:30. We enjoyed plenty of DSO observing early on, when we weren't just sitting back watching for meteors. I didn't have a counting device, but I'd estimate we saw about 100 before midnight, and another 200 between midnight and 4:00. They seemed to be almost equally divided between bright ones with ion trails and faint ones without. Of the bright ones, almost half of them had persistent trains, visible over 60-90 degrees across the sky. The shorter ones probably spanned 10-15 degrees. We had a couple of long "skippers", an orange "firework" that seemed to explode and then fall, and even a very bright one that might have qualified as a bolide. A great night, all in all. One that I'll always remember.
Linton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Murray" <mmur...@montrose.net>