Re-post as I can never seem to get the subject right when posting from a
"digest from the met-list)

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Steve Schoner" <scho...@mybluelight.com>
To: meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com
Subject: Re: Meteorite-list Digest, Vol 85, Issue 27
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 16:53:12 GMT

Martin and all,

I too am worried about this trend, using BFK to "preserve" meteorites,
especially stones.

Having moved out of meteorite hunting due to disability, over the last 8 years
I have kept my interest alive by learning the thin section process, and how to
make them economically.

What I have noticed is that some stones that have been "treated" can be
extremely difficult to bond to glass.   Any type of oil, or oxygen depleting
substance will cause this, not to mention that it also changes the isotopic
nature of the meteorite that will show up in micro-probe analysis.

A simple soak in pure alcohol will do no harm.

Also for some stones and irons, I have used alcohol and sodium hydroxide.   One
meteoriticist was adverse to this as he said that it would change isotopic
nature.  But I countered that in that if one looks at the reason for the
rusting in irons or stones is the presence of chlorine that is derived from
long term exposure to weather and soil.   Chloriine from chlorides in the soil
attach to pure iron as Ferric Chloride (FeCl3) which is highly hydroscopic,
causing a ongoing catalytic reaction where it makes the iron latch onto oxygen
thus turning the iron into rust.   That is why one finds iron relics on dry
lakes that are completely reduced to rust, and also the reason for the so
called "Lawrencite" decay of meteorites.

A solution of 70% alcohol and sodium hydroxide (NaOH) turns that ferric
chloride (Lawrencite) into salt (NaCl) because chlorine has a higher affinity
to sodium than to iron.   It then creates a brine solution leaving the rusted
iron as ferrous hydroxide (Fe[OH[2).   (Fe[OH]2) then turns into FeO2-3 upon
drying which is plain rust.    But before drying the meteorite must be soaked
in distilled water which will remove any salt on the surface of in the cracks.
 Thus with chlorine removed, the ongoing rusting caused by catalytic
hydroscopic and acidic FeCl3 stops,   The only addition, if any, is a trace of
salt caused by this process.   And most weathered meteorites will have traces
of terrestrial salt anyway.   I doubted that sodium hydroxide and alcohol would
remove other elements that are bound in meteorite minerals.

(Thechemical reaction is more complicated than what I have explained in  the
above paragraph.  But simply stated the result is common table salt and solid
stable rust.   The chlorine has been removed from the meteorite.   And I have
done this with stones, such as Lamont, Kansas a terrible ruster.)

I think the meteoriticist saw my point with regards to this process, and that
that additional salt could be excluded from a micro-probe analysis in the study
of irons.

Anyway, that said, using oils or oxalic acid containing oils on stones is
another thing.   First off, oils are extremely difficult to remove from stone
meteorites most of which are porous.  Not only will they affect the thin
section process, but also make classification as Martin has noted difficult if
not impossible.

Steve Schoner
http://www.petroslides.com
IMCA #4470