To: <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2011 9:26 PM
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] The Human Presence in the Solar System

Let the data and knowledge speak for itself.

Voyager I & II
Apollo Missions
Space Shuttle Missions
Hubble (without which many of these missions would not have been possible
or even considered)
Spitzer
StarDust
Dawn
EPOXI
WISE
Spirit
Opportunity
Curiosity (coming soon to a planet near you)
Messenger
Hyabusa (not ours, but worth doing)
Kepler (perhaps the most important)

And many many more successful missions.

What else do they want? Come on... The government dropped $700+ Billion on
the banks and auto manufacturers... Why can't they spare $100 Billion for
the advancement and preservation of the human species?

What the advancement of the space program (which has a direct influence on
the advancement and survival of the human species) has achieved both
intrinsically, and scientifically is immeasurable in dollars. Knowledge is
priceless. It's also the most precious and valuable thing in the universe,
we should cherish it, where it came from, and how we gained it. More
advanced technology, more businesses, more scientists, and more money has
been pumped into the economy than can be accurately measured since the
beginning of the space program. A student today, who watches the Moon
landing on video for the first time may be motivated to study astronomy,
or become an astronaut themselves. They may join the military, become a
pilot, and perhaps fly a real space craft.

Humans are curious. We want to know. It's in our nature, it's what makes
us human.

Would there be as many people interested in science if NASA had never so
much as launched a rocket? Would there be as many astronomers and
scientific discoveries if Hubble never existed? The Hubble Deep Field is a
perfect example. 1,500 galaxies discovered. Then as if that weren't good
enough, another photo was taken, this time deeper into the blackness of
space. The Hubble Ultra Deep Field. One photograph 10,000 galaxies in a
section of space equal to only 1/12700000th of the total area of sky. If
the whole sky was photographed and the same data holds true throughout,
that's 127 Billion galaxies in the visible/observable universe. And that's
not to say there's not more, considering that's at the limits of current
technological possibility. If we could see further, would we see more
galaxies? Yeah, I'd say that's a safe bet.

The economical effects may not be measurable. What is the effects of the
money that's injected back into the economy by those entrepreneurs that
were inspired to start a new business or create a new technology based on
what they learned through the space program?  If we never had the space
program would we have the technological advancement we have today? Would
there be as many scientists advancing human knowledge at an ever growing
exponential rate?

Regards,
Eric