Hi Jeff and List

Thanks for the link "Sounds Associated with Witnessed Meteorite Falls". As a newcomer to chasing fireballs my experience is limited. My only reference is what locals experienced at Buzzard Coulee , Ash Creek and Mifflin. At Buzzard Coulee the locals within the main strewn field explained the event as explosions of large fireworks. One resident was working in his garage said it sounded like someone was rolling bowling balls across his tin roof than a large flash illuminated outside. Ash Creek residents under one of the main breakups reported hearing a large explosion and then seeing a smoke trail followed by two more explosions. At Mifflin I had a chance to talk with numerous residents. Near Mineral Point one person described the sound as a large explosion followed by a popping sound and then a vacuum sound as the meteor passed overhead. At the far end of the strewn field 10 miles East of Mineral Point the sound was described as rumbling sound compared to thunder followed by the same vacuum sound as the meteor passed overhead. The best way they explained the vacuum sound was as if a military jet was passing directly overhead at high speed.

Sonny

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Kuyken <i...@meteorites.com.au>
To: meteorite-list <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>; wahlperry <wahlpe...@aol.com>
Sent: Tue, Mar 29, 2011 11:02 pm
Subject: Re: [meteorite-list] Fireball question / sonic boom

Hi Sonny & all,Everyone has raised some interesting points so far. I remember doing a bit of study on this a number of years ago and one thing I found that stood out was that in all the situations I looked at, when meteorites were found they were ALL within 50km of where a sonic boom was heard. Most less than ~25km. I don't know how true that is and if it works in every case but for the dozen or so I looked at, that was the case.Some may also find my "Sounds Associated with Witnessed Meteorite Falls" page interesting. This list was put together by Bernd several years ago. Thanks again Bernd! ;-)http://www.meteorites.com.au/odds&ends/sounds.htmlCheers,Jeff----- Original Message ----- From: <wahlpe...@aol.com>To: <meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com>Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 12:34 AMSubject: [meteorite-list] Fireball question / sonic boom> Hi List,>> It seems like there have been many fireball sightings in the past few > months but no material being found on the ground, as in the recent > Oklahoma event. I was wondering if the absence of a sonic boom has > anything to do with it.> Does a sonic boom or explosion have to be present for a major meteorite > producing event? Could there still be a few meteorites on the ground with > no sonic boom? With Buzzard Coulee, Mifflin, Ash Creek these events all > produced meteorites and sonic booms were heard by the locals. Does anyone > know if there were sonic booms associated with the Park Forest and > Whetstone events?>> Thanks,> Sonny>>> ______________________________________________> Visit the Archives at > http://www.meteoritecentral.com/mailing-list-archives.html> Meteorite-list mailing list> Meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com> http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/meteorite-list>> ______________________________________________