Bill,
I admit. At the risk of being wrong,  I tend to believe people and take them at
their word unless I have reason to believe they are lying.
In this case If that did hit his roof then I think it might be a meteorite.
Cat Mountain meteorite also looked like a piece of coal. And everybody and
their brother told the finder that. But it was tested
( x rayed ) and found to be almost pure forsterite. If not for that knowledge
it would have never been verified as a true rare meteorite. It too looked as
black on the inside as the fusion crust.
--
Carl or Debbie Esparza
Meteoritemax