My guess is that the colour seen on these meteorites comes from a thin oxidation layer or maybe from oil from the hands that handled the meteorite. Anyhow, you need a quite glossy surface to get that effect so it is a really fresh meteorite.

Nice pictures!

/Göran

Martin Altmann skrev 2011-07-21 19:39:
Just some hours ago,
list-member Stephan Kambach sent me a picture of a Murchison individual,
showing such a rainbow effect.

Best!
Martin

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: meteorite-list-boun...@meteoritecentral.com
[mailto:meteorite-list-boun...@meteoritecentral.com] Im Auftrag von Mike
Bandli
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 21. Juli 2011 19:21
An: 'Gary Fujihara'; 'Marc Fries'
Cc: meteorite-list@meteoritecentral.com
Betreff: Re: [meteorite-list] Rainbow Fusion crust

I've seen this "rainbow effect" in the fusion crust of a few specimens in my
life including Murchison, Ash Creek, and Buzzard Coulee. Jim Strope has a
great example of Murchison with this coloration in the crust here:

http://catchafallingstar.com/murchison723i.JPG

The complete page:

http://catchafallingstar.com/murchison723.htm

Very interesting. I would love to know what causes it.

Mike Bandli
Historic Meteorites
www.HistoricMeteorites.com
and join us on Facebook: