You're hitting these issues because you're using Mezzanine 1.4.16, which is
3 months old, predates the release of Django 1.6, and explicitly defines
its highest supported Django version as 1.5.x.

The current development branch of Mezzanine aims to be fully compatible
with Django 1.6 and doesn't exhibit the issue you've described, so this
will be fixed for you when the next release is made, which will happen as
soon as time permits.

Stephen McDonald
http://jupo.org