I think you could just add the existing product view (and any others) to
your urlpatterns, but wrapped in Django's login_required decorator - with
that you'd get all the fancy redirecting to login and back to the original
page.

I don't think there's a strong case for including it as a setting.

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Eduardo Rivas <jerivasmel...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello Mezzaniners and Cartridgers (??).
> I have some very specific requirements for a project I'm working in. I
> would like to have shop categories available to all visitors of the site
> (they can browse all categories and see which products are included in
> each, just a thumbnail and short description). However, unauthenticated or
> inactive users should not be able to access the product detail page (they
> can't make orders either, of course). Ideally this would only require
> toggling a setting such as SHOP_CHECKOUT_ACCOUNT_REQUIRED, but I don't
> think something like that exists. My questions are:
>
>    1. Can this be done without modifying Cartridge views to check for
>    user auth? (Monkey patch solution)
>    2. Would you (Steve) be open to adding a setting to control this
>    behavior in shop.views.product, just as shop.views.checkout_steps does now?
>    (Proper, long-term solution IMO)
>
> What do you guys think? Do you see any other solution?
>
> --

Stephen McDonald
http://jupo.org