There's an old outdated pull request that implemented something like what
you're talking about here:

https://github.com/stephenmcd/cartridge/pull/57

If I recall it applies a similar approach to Mezzanine's pages where
concrete inheritance stems from a base product, allowing custom product
subclasses. I'm not sure if that code's too out of date to use, or can be
revived - I suspect the latter, but if you're keen to get involved with
this, that would be your best starting point.

Josh's link to our recent discussion on option types is also very relevant
- I think custom product types would shape addressing some of the problems
there too.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 5:03 AM, Paul Walsh <paulywa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The thing I'm wondering is - has anyone gone down this path before with
> Cartridge (subclassing for distinct product types), and, if yes, do other
> parts of the application need patching to support it.
>

> On Wednesday, 26 February 2014 19:22:44 UTC+2, Josh B wrote:
>>
>> Based on what you described I think subclassing is your best bet.
>> Variations currently have some limitations and I don't think would
>> accomplish what you are trying to do. (https://groups.google.com/
>> forum/#!topic/mezzanine-users/kYzgBKcwSsg)
>>
>> On Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:40:19 AM UTC-7, Paul Walsh wrote:
>>>
>>> And, BTW, I don't mind coding something in this direction (for example,
>>> subclasses of Product) if it is a common pain-point for other users in
>>> Cartridge, but first, I want to see that I understand the current
>>> implementation, and how people are using it.

Stephen McDonald
http://jupo.org