Hello,

I've seen a few threads about this in the past so I thought I would
share. It's common to desire parity between dev and production
environments, i.e. no change between envs. At least I generally find
this to save time and energy, so towards that I generally develop
Mezzanine, or any django project, using gunicorn instead of runserver.
Why? Well I hate the single request nature of runserver, so that is
the main reason for me. It is also the case that some core django devs
would love to see runserver removed in favor of something like
gunicorn. The issue has been code reloading on change, which gunicorn
would not do. Well, until recently. Its not in a release yet, but
gunicorn [0] now supports change detection and reloading, yay!!WIN1!!

So, how do you make this transition? I've found the package dj-static
[1] by Kenneth Reitz (Heroku) to be the simple, quick, elegant
solution to this problem. dj-static leverages a wsgi app aptly called
static [2,4] to do the actual serving. It's pretty fast & efficient.
Oh, its also really easy to setup too. Just collectstatic & check the
dj-static readme on github [3]. It handles uploaded content too. Here
is a hint, use HEAD on github, DO NOT USE pypi version, its stale,
although it should still work ok with python2. If you want to use
python3, use HEAD (looks like it will be 0.0.6 when it's released), it
uses static3 [4].

Anyway, check it out. Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
Matt

[0]
https://github.com/benoitc/gunicorn/blob/master/docs/source/settings.rst#reload
[1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/dj-static
[2] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/static
[3] https://github.com/kennethreitz/dj-static
[4] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/static3

 --
M. Summers

"...there are no rules here -- we're trying to accomplish something."
  - Thomas A. Edison