Hi Matt. Mezzanine supports user access control in a "self-service"
configuration that might be useful for you. You can have your users request
an account (fill in their details and password), but they will not be
granted access to the site (they can't log in) until an authorized member
clears their request. You can define a list of email addresses that will be
notified when new users request accounts. This way you don't have to
manually enter every user's details, but you still have complete control
over all of them. If you grant permission to a user, he/she will get an
email notification to let them now they can use the site (complete with a
log in link).

This requires you set ACCOUNTS_APPROVAL_REQUIRED = True in settings.py.
Then you have to configure the emails that will be notified on new account
requests in the Settings section of the Admin interface. The setting is
called "Account approval email addresses" under the "Miscellaneous" section.

To approve a new user, simply login to the Admin site (you need to have
permission to change User objects), look for the user in question (you'll
receive a direct link with the notification email), and check the "Active"
box, then Save. This will notify the new user and let them log in to your
site.

I've been using this method for an online store I'm working in where only
registered users can order products, and we want to screen them all. Hope
that helps.