I like the idea of having an order ID before payment (for the reasons you
outlined) but I'd be curious to hear if Steve had any particular reason for
not doing this when he originally created Cartridge.

Also, in case you haven't seen it you might want to look at
https://github.com/explodes/cartridge-payments