I have attempted an upgrade from Mezzanine 4.0 and Django 1.8 to Mezzanine
4.1 and Django 1.9. There are some stumbling blocks, so I wanted to share
my experience:

- The easiest way to upgrade is pip install -U mezzanine. Don't forget to
pip freeze afterwards!
- Modify settings.py. TEMPLATE_DIRS and TEMPLATE_CONTEXT_PROCESSORS have
been absorbed by TEMPLATES
- Modify urls.py. Now patterns is a plain list, so individual entries need
to be calls to url()
- Also on urls.py, i18n_patterns is deprecated
- Aaaaaand, all view functions need to be imported, a dotted path won't cut
it
- Make sure you update your other dependencies, most packages have also
released new versions for Django 1.9 (django-debug-toolbar, for example)

Pro tip: I usually just copy Mezzanine's default settings.py and urls.py
into my project and use a diffing tool to catch the differences and restore
any customizations.

Sadly, I can't get runserver to work when I enable EXTRA_MODEL_FIELDS. I'm
injecting a single field and managing the migrations via MIGRATION_MODULES
(not sure if that's relevant). I'll open an issue to further debug this
one. It seems to go away if I downgrade to Django 1.8.8.