I want to allow new users to register to a mezzanine based site with
minimal information (i.e. email and password) and allow them to update
their profile information once they are registered. Therefore I would like
to display a form with only the two required fields during signup and the
"full" ProfileForm during profile_update.

Looking at the code in mezzanine.accounts I understand that "signup" view
as well as the "profile_update" view use the same form (i.e.
ACCOUNTS_PROFILE_FORM_CLASS). I know I could overcome this by writing my
custom signup view but is there any other way to solve this so I can keep
using the build-in code?

If not: Would it make sense to allow the definition of different form
classes for signup and profile_update? Many modern websites try to
encourage registration by asking only for minimal information during
registration but allow users to add addtional profile information later.

Regards Chris