Looking for advice rather than a solution, I'm customizing cartridge's
checkout process to be a lot more simpler.

The site sells a subscription to access a "members" area of the site, so
there is no need for quantities or variations although there are two
different types of membership.

I want to remove any option of quantity and for there to be only one item
in the cart at any time but keep all the other steps.

Where should i attack this from?

Any help much appreciated, as i said more of a discussion