I think the idea is to be consistent and predictable when it comes to naming all things. The project directory, the database user, the database itself, and all configuration files just use the project name as identifier. I'm no security expert but I think that having one DB user per site is safer than a single DB user with access to all site databases.

In any case, I think you should be able to import the database as the DB user "project_name", it's the owner of all tables as seen here: https://github.com/stephenmcd/mezzanine/blob/master/mezzanine/project_template/fabfile.py#L494-L501

Also, not sure if it helps but you can backup and restore your database directly from fabric too.

fab backup:"mybackup.psql"
fab restore:"mybackup.psql"

https://github.com/stephenmcd/mezzanine/blob/master/mezzanine/project_template/fabfile.py#L347-L367

Hope that helps.