My question would be, is this setting actually sufficient for enabling more
complex workflows? An important component of workflows I've seen in other
frameworks is policies and enforcement. For instance, certain users are
privileged to approve changing the status of content from one stage to
another.

Right now, the content status represents a policy -- whether or not the
content is public.

It seems like the goal of your proposal is to also use content status as an
arbitrary label. If this is correct I would argue that this data is
different in kind and should therefore be in a different field. However,
perhaps this label field could serve as a "wrapper" around the status --
hiding the field in the admin and setting it based on it's own internal
logic.