Of course it works now.

What I did was post to this group, give up for the night, and go to sleep.
Nothing changed code or AWS configuration-wise since I made this post.
Ghost in the machine fixing my problems?

If I find out what the root of all this was, I'll update again.

By the way, thanks for the fantastic work making Mezz, Stephen. It's pretty
awesome.