First tip: never install locally what can be deployed locally. use docker,
vagrant, both, or something comparable.

If it isn't in production, do not develop an undue fondness for it.

iI you break it, roll it back. Roll it back to a working version, or start
from scratch. Starting from scratch if it is not in prod is great in that
it provides an opportunity to prove that your stuff works. Starting from
scratch is sometimes cheaper. Get a base mezzanine going and `git clone`
your changes into it. Speaking of git, your repository should not have
site-packages! The deployment script runs pip to install and update
dependencies listed in your requirements.txt.

Have you tried the django shell command? Or the excellent shell_plus from
django_extensions? They drop you into a REPL which will let you
programmatically access your database contents to get and/or create models.

I urge you to learn Django. Mezzanine is very much a Django application,
and all your questions are really questions about Django.