Iain,

When I tested "menuplaceholder", I had it at the beginning in
INSTALLED_APPS. But if you put it at the end (or _after_
"mezzanine.pages"), then you will find the dummy menu items clickable.
That's because menuplaceholder is basically a rewrite of the default
Mezzanine menu templates, and if you put "mezzanine.pages" first, it
"wins". However, if you put "menuplaceholder" first, it should take
priority.

I'm guessing this is what happened. Was I right? (I may need to document it
better, or think of a better way to achieve this.)

I hope this helps. Best regards,
Peter