Here are my thoughts regarding someone who is first meeting Mezzanine and
wants to have his/her own customized template:

1. One has to be fairly skilled in the whole process of frontend and Django
framework (so we're losing a great potential to absorb more users (I am
aspiring to a mighty Pythonic WordPress)).
2. Even for a fairly skilled Django and frontend developer, the process of
tuning, and matching a downloaded/purchased template can be painfully
time-consuming.
  To be more precise, the process of positioning template tags in the
appropriate place in the downloaded template requires lots and lots of
time/energy.

I am not an authority in the field to propose a sound solution, yet as a
serious user of Mezzanine who loves to see it grow *significantly, *I see
this whole process of customizing a template a major hurdle.